It took 10 years, the labor of 75,000 men and women, and almost
400 million dollars to complete the job.
The Panama Canal
started moving traffic in August of 1914.
More than 75 years after the first official ocean-to-ocean transit of
the waterway, the United States and Panama have embarked on a partnership for
the management, operation and defense of the Panama Canal. Under two new
treaties signed in a ceremony at OAS headquarters in Washington, D.C., on
September 7, 1977, the Canal will be operated until the turn of the century
under arrangements designed to strengthen the bonds of friendship and
cooperation between the two countries. The treaties were approved by Panama in a
plebiscite on October 23, 1977, and the U.S. Senate gave its advice and consent
to their ratification in March and April 1978. The new treaties went into effect
October 1, 1979.